HIDE Winter Storm Warning issued January 15 at 10:50PM EST until January 17 at 8:00AM EST by NWS Greenville-Spartanburg
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST MONDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
accumulations of 2 to 7 inches are expected across the mountain
valleys and extreme northeast Georgia, with 8 to 12 inches along
and near the Blue Ridge Escarpment, and 12 to 20 inches at
elevations above 4000 feet. Ice accumulations of up to one tenth
of an inch are also possible. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.
* WHERE...The mountains of the Carolinas and northeast Georgia.
* WHEN...Until 8 AM EST Monday.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Mixed precipitation will begin tonight
eventually falling as mostly snow and increasing in coverage and
intensity overnight. The precipitation will briefly change to
sleet and freezing rain before tapering off Sunday and evening
in most areas, although snow showers are expected to linger
along the Tennessee border into Monday morning. Widespread black
ice should be expected Monday morning, and may be a concern
into the middle of the week.